Mar 18, 2010

The day started Ok....

Sunny, nice mild day. More arena time with Lady and Wyatt. Played with the door again and desensitising in the general area. Lady was up for some games after I encouraged them to lope and trot around at liberty. Practiced figure eights online, circle game 22 ft line--more for me to practice rope handling with that much rope. Lady and I don't care for it that much. She'd rather be on the 12 ft line or liberty. 22 feet of rope just makes us clumsy doing more refined lateral work. She was in low-key mode and only wanted to walk and take things relaxed and slow.Trotted a few figure 8's then went on to something else. A little sideways,( which is very hard for her, being a forwardaholic, then she offered touch it with cones. Threw down a pole--which she decided was also a put my nose on it game. Eventually, persuaded her to walk over it, thinking we might try rudementary sideways along it, or back up over it. My expectatons were not high and neither of us was really in the mood. Still need more isolation of yielding neck and hindquarters. I quit while she was still quiet and relaxed. We'll work on those area's more. With the new stuff I think we'll go back to the 12ft line, then graduate to 22 ft.

Checked on my new horse in another barn. Took off his blanket, got him outside for some turn-out. He's LBI in his stall, or when able to get rid of excess energy. RBI when trying something new or unconfident about his environment. He got nice and muddy, both sides, and seemed pretty happy about it. Guess what I'll be doing before my lesson tomorrow?

Getting ready to call it a day, B and I toted a bale of hay to Wyatt and Lady's barn. In the middle of the barn, a little PMU filly was down, people crouched all around her. After let loose of the cross-ties, apparently something spooked her, she flipped over backwards and hit the cement floor. Took the vet an hour to get there. We all helped to get her on a tarp and into a trailer for transport to the university. Last I checked, she may have perm neurological damage if she makes it. They were still waiting on the radio-graphs when I called to check on her status. Hoping for the best...

No comments: