Jun 2, 2017

When 'Livin' the Dream' Means 'Lots of Work for Little to No Pay'

I hear this oft used phrase many times throughout my day, often being issued from the lips of farmers, ranchers, trainers, co-workers, all with sour looks and lips that want to spit it out as though they ate a piece of bad meat, or being chimed out of mouths while smiling big dimpled smiles accompanying the classic rolling eyed sarcasm.



It's hard; working in this industry it really is, but many of us find it is a labor of love and when I say labor there is a lot of it but we try to work smarter, not harder and by doing that we make it look easy--sometimes too easy and people think we are rolling in the dough while we are living our dreamy lifestyle.





I find myself very lucky to have the opportunity to work with and own horses. My reward is the relationship I have with the horses in my care. Horses are fair. Horses will actually thank you and will give you that gentle tap with their muzzle on your hand or even softly embrace you with a gentle curl of their neck to pull you in close to their shoulder--that's a horse hug! Mama horses do it to their babies and horse friends do it to each other.  It's even more meaningful when I get a horse in that is empty-eyed and skinny, scared or spoiled--or all of the above--by bad or inexperienced handling and I take on the task of helping the horse get healthy nutritionally, find out what they need medically, and learn to be a good citizen around humans. When I've accomplished even minor things I get my little nuzzles and hugs, telling me I understand them and that I've got it right when they offer without resistance to perform the tasks I've asked of them.

What the horses don't have are bank accounts (well, some do but not any of the ones currently in my care.) I know they would write me a big fat check if they could or hand me some cash from time to time but for now, I work at a "real" (note my sarcasm) job so they don't have to.  I have to mention my human family, and non-horsey friends don't really get what I've set out to do and have long been neglected in my pursuit. That being said, I will be honing down my operation as the emotional and financial overhead is way too high to keep doing what I'm doing for no pay and keep the horses healthy and happy. I'll be busy trying to find good homes for some of my residents, as well as highlighting some of the work I've done with all the horses in my barn. Hopefully I will be able to continue some of my work and services to help at risk horses and support owners with their endeavors without being responsible for running my own facility and free up some time that I can spend with my two-legged family and friends.


No comments: