Feb 23, 2011

On the Subject of Grooming

Barn this afternoon, take the horses one by one to the indoor arena, clean stalls, waterbuckets, bring the horses back in, one by one. Distributed flakes of hay, doled out mints, made sure all were comfy. I decided to work on Forrests mane, banding and hoping to tame it on the right side. He was flustered about it. He's really particular about his hair I guess. I gather he's had his mane pulled at one time, and probably not very gently as he's pretty nervous when I mess with his mane near crest.The other day I was fussing with it to get the globs of mud out and he swung his neck around and clacked his teeth in warning. Being an appendix, he's so sensitive! He's usually compliant with many things, he even seems to enjoy having his ears clipped--go figure-- but was downright cranky about this spot as I ran my fingers through the hair.

So, I'm working on him, and Lady in the stall beside his, takes little peeks at us and flicks her tail briskly--she's the one that usually gets the beauty treatment--how dare Forrest get special attention! I get the banding done and he looks a little pathetic, a few times shaking his neck at the odd sensation of his mane on this foreign side, and I'm feeling tonight, first thing tomorrow I should just say 'heck with this!' and pull out the bands and let his mane lay where it may, cause you know, sometimes bedhead hurts!

No comments: