Mar 14, 2006

While you were sleeping...

While you were sleeping... the afore menioned link is where i had been sporadically posting whenever i had internet access and to keep my account active at journalspace. A few posts there track some of the goings on with the horses and myself--and my dog Amy. Rather than re post everything here at horsephiles, the journalspace entries can be referred to if you are really curious about the last year and why the horsephiles entries are far and few between

I do want to say a few things here about Amy, our once family dog, (kids are grown and on their own), now my constant companion & with me through the saga of my move up north and back. Amy has had the misfortune to be afflicted with a tumor on her belly which began to make its presence last july and has continued to grow at an alarming rate. The vet says that at her age she probably would not survive an operation. Performing a biopsy would be a moot point, for cancer or not, it's mere size will begin to hamper her quality of life. When this happens, or if she stops eating, or if she starts developing neurological or respiratory problems, that will be the time to let her go and kindly put her down. She is being treated with steroids to keep her comfortable.We were hoping that the steroid therapy might shrink the mass but it hasn't. The prednisone has been helping for quite a while but will not be able to keep her symptoms under control forever. For now, I just make the most of every moment I spend with her. I wish everyday could be Amy day, but since I work in an office she can't come with me. Instead she prefers to stay faithfully in my room until I get home. She does get all the peanut butter biscuts she wants, she gets to come to the barn with me on barn days and hang out, which she loves--helping with the barn chores or snoozing in the car if she gets too tired, and she gets a lot more hamburgers than she used to.

No comments: